Re: markup language for tutorial

On Fri, 10 Jul 1998 Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de wrote:

> No, DocBook will generate nothing. It is a DTD, so you need SGML
> processing tools.  And Jade does not have a texinfo backend, sorry.

Yes, I know.

Please rewrite my question: Will DocBook [processed by the appropriate
tools] generate Texinfo? Or, "are there any tools to generate Texinfo from
DocBook"?

> If you ask me, I think the RMS is on the wrong path with texinfo.
> SGML is the whisper of the future. Maybe you want to ask him if they
> dont want to donate a texinfo backend to jade dsssl engine?
>
> However, I dont know how texinfo looks like. If it uses standard
> markup, you may come around using a small converter, but it will
> never be optimal.

I have my own views on which markup I'd rather use, but I feel that
getting the document published will be more valuable than any technical
benefits of one markup over another. I do understand RMS's concerns; he
wants output in .info format, and he wants all the GNU programs to use the
same doc format if possible. Texinfo probably made sense back when it was
decided upon, and now it's a pain to switch.

The reason I'm asking is that I am hoping for a technical fix which will
make everyone happy. But if that's not possible then I will just have to
pick a markup and live with it.

Havoc