Re: Debian Metadata Proposal -- draft rev.1.4

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:
> > APH>           Title			80
> >
> > Too big. The title should fit in one line of a WWW browser or a screen. I
> > would suggest <= 60.
>
> We shouldn't think of represantation to early. Titles in WWW browsers can be
> abbreviated, and I always use a 100x37 screen, so 90 characters title are
> okay for me. Other read from a braille terminal with 20 chars, big deal. We
> should stay on the safe side.

One thing to remember here is that titles are determined upstream and
not by our system.  We should be able to fit whatever title the author
of the document gave the document.

> > APH>           Subject 80 (multiple elements combined)
> >
> > Markus, how long are the longest entries of DDH? We should support at
> > least tree entries in this line.
>
> I suggest 160.

Done.

> > APH>           Language		2
> >
> > Ok.
>
> Maybe 5 for future extension?

Currently, only 2 are allowed.  Does anyone really translate en-uk to
en-us ?  Left at 2.

One curious issue is the language, for, say content negotiated web
pages.  Thoughts?

> What about font-encoding field? Is this covered by MIME types (i think so).

Not marked up at all, although it could be indicated as charset in the
format field.  Do we need to encode the charset?