Re: DDH subdirs, URLs, and URNs

Hello Adam.

On Mon, Jul 06, 1998 at 04:59:16PM -0400, Adam P. Harris wrote:

> Marcus, I have a question about the DDH system.  As I understood our
> last discussion of this issue, the DDH tree was centrally maintained,
> which means that it's not possible for doc providers to create new
> nodes in the tree.

Yes, I would prefer that, especially in the beginning, where I have to make
some changes etc.

> However, we did see that it might be nice to have 'application'
> groups, which are leaf nodes (meaning can't have child nodes) on the
> tree.

Yes. A package should be allowed to make a leaf section under the
condition that all documents below cover the very same or similar topic.
(For example, all user manuals for a single application, not one user one
devel and so on).

> However, my current Metadata proposal doesn't accomodate this
> at all.  Unless we could iterpret the top level of my relative URLs
> (URNs) as an application group.

With a limited set of optional elements allowed then.

> Suppose that the Identity: field is reformulated slightly as follows:
                   ^^^^^^^^^
"Identifier:"  ?

> 1) if the file is located in the doc dir of the package <pkg>, i.e.,
>    /usr/share/doc/<pkg>/<remaining-path>, and <pkg> is the package
>    that *supplies* the resource, then it is appropriate to use a
>    package name, and where <path> is the location of the document on
>    the file system relative to /usr/share/doc/<pkg> or /usr/doc/<pkg>,
>    in that order
>
> 2) if not, use an absolute URL
>
> Benefits:
>  (a) trivial to redirect SGML references (for example) to uninstalled
>      packages to, say, a Documentation home page or resolver service
>      on the web
>
>  (b) no change in ID when moving from FSSTD to FHS, so no chance for
>      wierd orphaned resources
>
> Then we might also use the first component of the relativized, case
> (1) URL as an "application group", at the discretion of the display
> system itself.
>
> Is this enough functionality?

I don't think so, but maybe I don't understand. I think it is perfectly
valid to access files with <pkg>/<path> without creating an application
group (how could you differentiate this from case 1 above?). On the other
hand, multiple application groups could be created (on in the user tree,
one in the devel tree for example).

Unless I didn't understood what you wrote above, this can't be achieved by
your proposal.

I'm not familiar with all RFC standards you use in your proposal. Would the
following be usable:

Identifier: ddh:/debian/support/bugtrackingsystem
Title: This is a subsection

Identifier: package/document.gz