Re^12: Debian Metadata Proposal -- draft rev.1.4

Am 26.07.98 schrieb apharris # burrito.onshore.com ...

Moin Adam!

APH> > A identifier should always persitent.
APH> Should perhaps.  My conclusion, which you have never been able to
APH> refute, is the identifier maintenance should *not* be done in docreg

I#m talking about identifiers used for docreg only!

APH> This is a design decision.  I agree I'd like to see Debian embracing
APH> persistent document idenfiers in some cases, but I rabidly disagree
APH> that docregs files should be the medium for this maintenance.

I think, we#re talking about different things. I#m not talking about a
local URN system for Debian. Once again, what informations do we need in
our docreg format?

We need the URL/filename of the document. You#re proposing to use
"Identifier:" and I#m proposing to use "File:" Ok?

Ok and then we#ve got the Relation tag. And for this tag we need an
identifier. Right? And this identifier has to be unique in our "docreg
system" and persitent. Ok? But this can#t be solved with your proposal. If
you move the documents or the docreg files you change the identifiers.

APH> * what if I want to refer to a document that I haven't installed?

Where#s the difference between both proposals? For example if you install
the German HOWTOs only (which refer to the English originals) dhelp (or
another system) would show something like that:

  Drucker HOWTO (de)
    Beschreibt die Installation eines Druckers.

If you would install the Englisch and the German HOWTOs, you would get
something like that:

  Printing HOWTO (en, de)
    Describes the installation of a printer.

So where#s the problem?

APH> * what if I want to maintain possible URN->URLs for network use from a
APH>   central location (i.e., I'm the DDP maintainer)

Where#re talking about docreg and not about an URN system!

APH> * if we're going to be doing persistent identifiers, they need to be
APH>   centrally maintained anyhow (a single, global namespace), so a

Why? They have to be unique and the package maintainer shouldn#t change
the IDs of documents.

APH>   going, and I'm not going to wait for it.  For instance, if a package
APH>   is yanked from a distribution, suddenly that so-called "persistent"
APH>   identifier is gone.  Doesn't sound very persistent to me!

Do we talk about words? You could call it static or simply unique. Again,
I#m not talking about a URN system. But the identifier of one document
should always be the same. This is very important for the Relation system
and is important for your auto-conversation system.

If you convert for example a SGML source to a PS document, you need a
unique ID, that is not changed if you install a new version of the SGML
source package.

APH> Absolute FUD.  You *can* do URN->URL translation on a local,
APH> non-networked system.  It's called CGI, using a local list of URN/URL

??? Local WWW browsers don#t use CGI scripts.

APH> Using draft standards is better than making up (and poorly designing)
APH> our own system.

I don#t think that my system is poor, but I think that the DC proposal is
missing some important things.

APH> See above.  We'd create more problems.

No. Where#re the advantages of your solution?

APH> I'm not against adding new tags.  And yes, it's explicitly allowed by
APH> DC.  But the design you proposed is very poor (see above).

What should I see above? I#ve proposed a unique ID and a file tag. I#ve
never proposed a URN system for documents.

APH> Sure it's possible in my solution.  Metadata have no identifier.

Why not? One book could have several metadata entries and several
identifiers: for example the ISBN entry, German CIP, US lib. of congress,
etc.

Again, please remember whatfor DC was developed: for books and to include
it in WWW files. If you include it in the HTML files, you don#t have any
problems. But we don#t include it. And that#s why we need a File tag.

Your proposal uses the identifier as URL/file. And this is a real bad idea
and this breaks the DC idea. For example I#ve added DC informations to all
German HOWTO HTML files. And I#m using something like "dlhp DE-HOWTO.html"
as Identifier and not our home page URL, because this would break all
links, if I change my provider.

APH> ??  What is the "local name" of a book?  Poor example here! ;)

global name: ISBN 3-7785-2009-1
local name (TUB-HH lib): NTG-310 and 2615-933 3

P.S.: I#ve started to develop dhelp 0.4.x

cu, Marco

--
Uni: Budde@tu-harburg.de           Fido: 2:240/5202.15
Mailbox: mbudde@hqsys.antar.com    http://www.tu-harburg.de/~semb2204/