Re: Documentation co-ordinator

> I don't know what permissions DDP will have in relation to the main
> web pages, so I don't yet have any definite plans about how
> pages are propagated from the repository into the webserver.  I do
> envisage having a separate directory for each manual, so it could be as
> simple as moving that directory aside and replacing it with the newly
> generated one.  If there is any question of using CGI or the like, it
> would have to be co-ordinated with the webmaster.

Currently most Debian documenatation on the web pages is grabbed from the FTP
archive. This is because not all documentation maintainers were forwarding
the latest version to the DDP. Having the master copy in CVS on va will go
a long way to fixing that. Synchronization problems would all but disappear
if the latest copy of all the different versions were created by checking them
out of CVS (daily in some cases).

> Our present goal is to produce some documentation to give users an
> overview of Debian and some basic instruction in how to use it and how
> to develop with it.  For the intimate details, users will still need to
> use man, info, dwww and so on.  For now, I propose to work with the
> scheme that we have inherited; anyone who has a master scheme to
> reorganise everything is welcome to tell us about it and work it out,
> whether privately or on the list, but we can't afford to wait for it.
> I would like to have all the presently planned manuals ready for 2.1.

Christian did put some thought into the organization of the DDP so I
wouldn't start changing things until you have a good reason.
Any decisions regarding placement should take into account that the
documentation appears in the following places:
   within the DDP web pages
   on the Debian web pages
   in /usr/doc
   under /doc on the ftp archive
That's on top of trying to have documents that work in the following
formats: html, txt and ps.

Jay Treacy