Re: tutorial outline (fwd)

[Forwarded with permission - Havoc]

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 21 Dec 1997 13:56:25 +0100
From: Christian Leutloff <leutloff@sundancer.oche.de>
To: robert havoc pennington <rhpennin@midway.uchicago.edu>
Subject: Re: tutorial outline

robert havoc pennington <rhpennin@midway.uchicago.edu> writes:

> I tossed together a very unpolished possible outline, on the principle

but it seams to be very complete! Good work.

> This should also give a sense of the "Debian Tutorial" idea and whether it
> will work.

> * About this manual
> This is the Debian Tutorial. It is aimed at readers who are new to
> GNU/Linux and Debian. It assumes no prior knowledge of Unix and
> Unix-like systems, but it does assume very basic general knowledge
> about computers and hardware.

Is this prerequisite really necessary!? A tutorial shouldn't assume
anything - if possible.

> This manual is meant to be read in order;
> each chapter assumes knowledge of prior chapters.

It would be easier for the reader and the author if each chapter is
mostly selfcontained. It can contain references for more detailed
aspects but the general prerequisites should be available in the
context.

> There is also a Debian Reference Guide, which is more comprehensive
> but less introductory.

> This tutorial assumes that you have already installed Debian GNU/Linux
> (and have read the Debian FAQ ?). If you have not yet installed the
> system, you may still find this tutorial useful to get a sense of what
> Debian is like.

If the second sentence is true, then you can leave the first out ;-)

This *tutorial* is very very long and gives you many many valueable
hints. I think to many. It should be split into user tasks
(i.e. sending mail) and admin tasks (i.e. configuring mail). Our
configuration programs are so easy that the user can configure the
general email system with the user knowledge. Later he can finetune
the system with the admin tutorial.

The user tutorial should IMHO demonstrate the useful sides of the
Linux system and show how easy difficult day to day tasks can be
solved.

Bye
  Christian

--