Re: install docs and ftp vs http

On Mon, 24 Nov 1997, Sue Ann Campbell wrote:

> Currently the install documentation for Debian is on the ftp site.
> As it is a good idea that a copy of those docs stay on the ftp site
> (someone with only ftp access can then install Debian), the main (public)
> copy should probably be on the web site with all the other docs and
> simply mirrored to the ftp site. This would also allow reports of
> errors in the install docs to be fixed by the webmaster. (it doesn't
> matter where the errors are. If they are using a web browser and
> it's an error, it goes to the webmaster. :)
>
> Currently those files are referenced like <A HREF="ftp:resc1440.bin">
> This makes using the same file for both ftp and http access difficult
> (I'd rather not have to edit all the files every time they are updated).
> Does anyone know if a reference like <A HREF="resc1440.bin"> would work
> from the ftp site? If not, any suggestions?

I just tried putting a file x.html on my ftp server which contains a link
"ftp://server/path/x.html"; first.

So I think you can savely remove the leading "ftp:" from the installation
manual.

Thanks,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
                    schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Don't know Perl?     schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.perl.com     http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/