Re: Command /usr/bin/mv wrong message in German

On 1/4/24 10:18, gregor herrmann wrote:
% dpkg -S $(which mv > coreutils: /usr/bin/mv

On bookworm:

    $ dpkg -S $(which mv)
    dpkg-query: no path found matching pattern /usr/bin/mv

This is caused by the /bin -> /usr/bin shift.

The reason I'm replying is after one, probably two decades this still
annoys me:

   $ dpkg -S /etc/profile
   dpkg-query: no path found matching pattern /etc/profile

It was put their by the Debian install, and I'm unlikely to change it.
Its fairly important security wise.  It would be nice if "dpkg -S" told
me base-files.deb installed it.  It would be nice if debsums told me if
it changed.  There are lots of files like this, such as /etc/environment
and /etc/hosts.  There are some directories like /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/
which should only have files claimed by some .deb.

To put it another way, Debian's audit trail of files managed / used by
the distro has never been great.  There was a modest proposal ages ago
(by aj I think) to improve this, but it was rejected.  To me it looks
more important now than it was then, and it was pretty important then.