Re: xz backdoor

On 2024-03-30 20:52 +0100, Ansgar 🙀 wrote:
> Yubikeys, Nitrokeys, GNUK, OpenPGP smartcards and similar devices.
> Possibly also TPM modules in computers.
>
> These can usually be used for both OpenPGP and SSH keys.

Slightly off-topic, but a couple of recent posts have given me the
same thought:

Can someone point to good docs on this?  I've had a yubikey for 3/4 of
a year now but have not yet worked out how I put my GPG key in it. (or
if it should be another key, or a subkey, or whatever). So I'm not
actually using it yet.

PEB also described what sounded like a very sensible way to manage
keys (using subkeys) in one of these threads but I don't know how to
do that myself.

Basically reasonably idiot-proof docs for people who don't understand
crypto and have no idea what to type.  And a mental model for what
keys (and files) are going where, and why.

e.g. I remember it took me years to realise that I used _my_ public
key for signing, and someone _else's_ public key for encrypting
messges for them. Things made so much more sense then. But it wasn't
at all clear from the docs for DD's to get and use a GPG key back in
2000, so I couldn't send a crypted message for years (because I was
trying to use the wrong key).

I also discovered about 2 years ago (i.e ~20 years after making a key)
that I can change the password on it - it's not immutable! That's
probably something that I should have found out/been told sooner.

I am now aware that I could use subkeys for signing and it would be
more secure, but I don't know how, so I'm not doing it (and this has
been the state for quite a few years now). Did/do I have to make it
differently in the first place, do I do something to the one I already
have (chop it up and keep the bits in different places? sign other
keys with it? something else?)

Hopefully info at the right level already exists and I just need
pointing at it, but I have tried a couple of times in the past to
understand both yubikey initialisation/use and subkey generation/use
and have failed to make any progress despite reading wiki pages and
man pages and blogs. I just realised that I didn't understand how it
worked or what the tradeoffs were, so couldn't really make sensible
decisions about what I should do. I suspect I'm not the only one who
is quite vague about all this.

Wookey
--
Principal hats:  Debian, Wookware, ARM