Re: Validating tarballs against git repositories

On 2024-03-30 08:02:04, Gioele Barabucci wrote:
> Now it is time to take a step forward:
>
> 1. new upstream release;
> 2. the DD/DM merges the upstream release VCS into the Debian VCS;
> 3. the buildd is notified of the new release;
> 4. the buildd creates and uploads the non-reviewed-in-practice blobs "source
> deb" and "binary deb" to unstable.
>
> This change would have three advantages:

I think everyone fully agrees this is a good thing, no need to list the
advantages.

The problem is that this requies functionality testing to be fully
automated via autopkgtest, and moved off the "update changelog, build
package, test locally, test some more, upload".

Give me good Salsa support for autopkgtest + lintian + piuparts, and
easy support (so that I just have to toggle one checkbox), and I'm
happy. Or even better, integrate all that testing with Salsa (I don't
know if it has "CI tests must pass before merging"), and block tagging
on the tagged version having been successfully tested.

And yes, this should be uniform across all packages stored on Salsa, so
as to not diverge how the testing is done.

iustin