Re: finally end single-person maintainership

On Wed, 22 May 2024 at 00:40, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:

> Salvo Tomaselli <tiposchi@tiscali.it> writes:
>
> > If the debian/ directory is on salsa, but the rest of the project is
> > somewhere else, then this no longer works, I have to tag in 2 different
> > places, I have 2 different repositories to push to and so on.
>
> For what it's worth, what I do for the packages for which I'm also
> upstream is that I just add Salsa as another remote and, after I upload
> a new version of the Debian package, I push to Salsa as well (yes,
> including all the upstream branches; why not, the Debian branches are
> based on that anyway, so it's not much more space).  One of these days
> I'll get CI set up properly, and then it will be worthwhile to push to
> Salsa *before* I upload the package and let it do some additional
> checking.
>
> It's still an additional step, and I still sometimes forget to do it, but
> after some one-time setup, it's a fairly trivial amount of work.
>
> It's more work to accept a merge request on Salsa and update the
> repositories appropriately, since there are two repositories in play, but
> in that case I'm getting a contribution out of it that I might not have
> gotten otherwise, so to me that seems worth it.
>
> I used to try to keep the debian directory in a separate repository or try
> to keep the Debian Git branches in a separate repository, and all of that
> was just annoying and tedious and didn't feel like it accomplished much.
> Just pushing the same branches everywhere is easy and seems to accomplish
> the same thing.

Yeah I am doing the same, and gradually switching all my packages that
used to have a separate upstream/downstream history to a single merged
tree. This can be done post-facto with some one-time git rocket
surgery, doesn't have to be the case from day one. It's a huge
improvement, and with gpp patch-queue I can just cherry-pick upstream
commits directly, with no hassle whatsoever. It works really nicely,
and gbp supports it just fine as a workflow, even while still checking
in upstream release tarballs in pristine-tar.