Re: About i386 support

Hi Maite, hi Rhys,

don't top-post. That breaks the flow of the arguments being argued about.

*From:* Johannes Schauer Marin Rodrigues <josch@debian.org>
*Sent:* Friday, May 17, 2024 15:48
*To:* Victor Gamper; debian-devel@lists.debian.org
*Subject:* Re: About i386 support

Quoting Victor Gamper (2024-05-17 21:58:58)
> Is there a reason to do this? If so, what would be required to keep the i386
> version, seeing as it still is important and used?

anything can be done if there are enough contributors who care.

For i386 there is a severe lack of person-power. Do you want to start
contributing your free-time for several years to come to d-i and other areas
which are needed to keep i386 more alive for longer?

On 18.05.24 15:16, Maite Gamper wrote:

> Whilst I can't for sure say how much free time I'll have, I'd like
> to try and contribute. How would you get started with that?

There's somewhere a page that is showing how much of the archive is built by architecture. A search engine should help you finding that page. Pick the package that is furthest down the stack of package dependencies that is not building on i386. Find out why. Fix the bug. Check if there's a bug report about the problem. Send a patch. If the maintainer doesn't have time then become a Debian Maintainer oder Developer yourself consult with the package's maintainers and upload fixed packages.
*t