Re: Suggestions about i386 support

On Sun, 2024-05-19 at 07:26 +0000, defrag mentation wrote:
> I think some of the i386 support policies needs to be reconsidered.
>
> Here are some suggestions:
>
> 1. ​Move Wine-32 to amd64, and Wine-32 may be compiled to 64-bit time_t.
>
> Wine-32 is now in currently dropped i386 DVDs/BDs, not in amd64 DVDs/BDs as it is multiarch-only now, so at least I think moving it to amd64 is needed.

I think you are confusing the removal of i386 installation media, with
the removal of i386 as a whole.

The plan is to keep i386 as a partial architecture that can be used as
a "foreign architecture" on systems where amd64 is the main
architecture.

[...]
> 2. For device support:
>
> There are no pure 32-bit x86 non-embedded devices since 2010 (as Atom N450 deprecated the pure 32-bit Atom N270) widely manufactured.
>
> i386 UEFI support is mandatory for Bay Trail and some Cherry Trail devices widely manufactured in 2012-2015, as they are 32-bit Windows 8/8.1 preinstalled and do not support legacy BIOS boot mode.
>
> It's good to keep i386 UEFI support (signed is better) for Bay Trail and some Cherry Trail devices in Debian amd64. Bookworm has added it (moved it from multi-arch iso to amd64 isos), but trixie seems to be dropping it. If Debian thinks 2015 is ancient enough in 2025, this suggestions can be ommited.
[...]

You should ask about that on the debian-cd or debian-boot list.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
For every complex problem