Re: De-vendoring gnulib in Debian packages

Hi,

On Sun, 2024-05-12 at 08:41 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> "Theodore Ts'o" <tytso@mit.edu> writes:
> > And yet, we seem to have given a pass for gnulib, probably because it
> > would be too awkward to enforce that rule *everywhere*, so apparently
> > we've turned a blind eye.
>
> No, there's an explicit exception for cases like gnulib.  Policy 4.13:
>
>     Some software packages include in their distribution convenience
>     copies of code from other software packages, generally so that users
>     compiling from source don’t have to download multiple packages. Debian
>     packages should not make use of these convenience copies unless the
>     included package is explicitly intended to be used in this way.

In ecosystems like NPM, Cargo, Golang, Python and so on pinning to
specific versions is also "explicitly intended to be used"; they just
sometimes don't include convenience copies directly as they have
tooling to download these (which is not allowed in Debian).

(Arguably Debian should use those more often as keeping all software at
the same dependency version is a futile effort IMHO...)

Gnulib is just older and targeted at the C ecosystem which still has
worse tooling that pretty much everything else.

Ansgar