Re: Tool to build Debian packages not requiring root in containers ?

Hi!

ti 7. toukok. 2024 klo 23.01 Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> kirjoitti:
Le Tue, May 07, 2024 at 08:17:31PM -0700, Otto Kekäläinen a écrit :

> Can you give me an example of a package you want to build and what is
> the starting point, and I can tell you what command to issue to
> https://salsa.debian.org/otto/debcraft to achieve it?
>
> It supports running Podman in user mode (=no root permissions needed),

Hi Otto,

it looks really great!

Do you think you can make it work with Singularity/Apptainer instead of
Podman?  Our cluster runs only singularity 3.5.2
(https://docs.sylabs.io/guides/3.5/user-guide/).  Debian has version
4.1.2 in the singularity-container package.

The conversion of a Docker container to the Singularity format is
simple, and Singularity already mounts most of the local storage to make
it visible and writable from within the container.

I read the docs on how Singularity is able to pull Docker images of Debian Sid and build on top of them, and run and exec just like Docker/Podman. Unfortunately it has its own Containerfile format (https://docs.sylabs.io/guides/3.5/user-guide/quick_start.html#singularity-definition-files) and the commands have their own syntax. I guess Debcraft could be extended to support it, but that would require at least one Singularity user as frequent contributor to test and develop Singularity-compatibility.

The entire code base is shell code. Perhaps you want to take a look if it looks hackable for you?