Re: Make /tmp/ a tmpfs and cleanup /var/tmp/ on a timer by default [was: Re: systemd: tmpfiles.d not cleaning /var/tmp by default]

Sent from my iPhone

> On 7 May 2024, at 18:39, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:
>
> On Tue, May 07, 2024 at 04:24:06PM +0300, Hakan Bayındır wrote:
>> Consider a long running task, which will take days or weeks (which is the
>> norm in simulation and science domains in general). System emitted a warning
>> after three days, that it'll delete my files in three days. My job won't be
>> finished, and I'll be losing three days of work unless I catch that warning.
>
> Then it will be high time you learn not to abuse /tmp that way and
> work in your (or your services) home/data directory.
>
> Problem easily avoided. plus you don't need to make /tmp 20 TB because you
> have lots of data. ;)
>
> I'm a bit surprised how many people seem to really rely on data in /tmp
> to survive for weeks or even months. I wonder if they backup /tmp?
Me is figurative here. Neither me, nor my code nor our users abuse these folders. The applications they use create these files without users’ knowledge.

And yes, these applications rely on the data they saved on /tmp during the job. Again, let me repeat. These are not users' files, but applications internal data which they automatically create.

And sometimes these /tmp folders are put on high speed internal NVMe RAIDs to allow multiple GPUs work together with lower latency, for weeks.