Solving a file conflict between package "nq" / "fq"

Hi all,

during the preparation of a new version of package "nq" (via NMU) it was found that there exists a file conflict with package "fq" (#1005961), which was incorrectly solved in the past. For now I unarchived and reopened the old issue. According to the policy:

"Two different packages must not install programs with different functionality but with the same filenames. (...) If this case happens, one of the programs must be renamed. The maintainers should report this to the debian-devel mailing list and try to find a consensus about which program will have to be renamed. (...)"

Hence I contact this list. Is there a formal process to generate decisions / consensus? Please note that I'm not the maintainer of "nq" and I'm not in the position to rename binaries to solve file conflicts.

Hilmar
--
sigfault