Re: Binary conflict between Midnight Commander and MinIO Client

Philip Hands <phil@hands.com> writes:

> Mathias Gibbens <gibmat@debian.org> writes:
>
>> On Sun, 2024-04-21 at 18:47 +0200, Simon Josefsson wrote:
>>> /usr/libexec/minio-client/bin/mc -> /usr/bin/mcli
>
> Might I suggest that the link goes the other way, so that the symlink
> lives in /usr/bin?  That way the existence of the lib directory is
> somewhat self-documenting.
>
> If you're looking for examples, it seems that fd-find and binutils-avr
> do something like this (although they seem to be linking into ../lib/
> presumably for historical reasons).

It seems this approach could use some documentation, if we want to have
some consistent implementation of this idea in Debian.  While I usually
dislike symlinks in /usr/bin/ I think there is some advantages.  I'm
also not sure where a good path component to store such binaries are,
libexec or lib?  Or share?

/Simon