Re: Firmwares (was Re: Bits from the DPL)

Andrey Rakhmatullin dijo [Mon, Apr 01, 2024 at 10:41:45PM +0500]:
> Why is updating the firmware packages not trivial? Is it because of
> licensing issues? I always thought it's just copying a bunch of files from
> the linux-firmware repo (but I also often wondered why is the package
> often not up to date).

There are many firmware packages that don't come from the linux
sources. i.e., I maintain raspi-firmware, the blob needed to boot the
Raspberry Pi family of computers.

And not even following upstream is always enough --- as a data point,
up until a year ago, the Raspberry Pi foundation used to regularly tag
releases in their Github repo¹, but they no longer do that. Of course,
I am not inclined to ship to Debian an unsanctioned what would amount
to just a random snapshot (of course, impossible to review or bugtrack
in any meaningful way) of their blob :-\

¹ https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware