Re: Validating tarballs against git repositories

At 2024-03-31T22:32:49+0000, Stefano Rivera wrote:
> Upstreams would probably prefer that we used git repositories
> *directly* as source artifacts, but that comes with a whole other can
> of worms...

Speaking from my upstream groff perspective, I wouldn't _prefer_ that.

The distribution archives get build-testing on a much wider variety of
systems, thanks to people on the groff@ and platform-testers@gnu mailing
lists that help out when a release candidate is announced.  They have
access to platforms more exotic that I and a few other bleeding-edge
HEAD mavens do.  This practice tangibly improved the quality of the
groff 1.23.0 release, especially on surviving proprietary Unix systems.

Building from the repo, or using the bootstrap script--which Colin
Watson just today ensured will be in future distribution archives--is
fine.[1]  I'm glad some people build the project that way.  But I think
that procedure serves an audience that is distinguishable in some ways.

Regards,
Branden

[1] https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/groff.git/commit/?id=822fef56e9ab7cbe69337b045f6f20e32e25f566