Re: Any way to install packages+run autopkgtests on porterbox machines?

On Sun, 03 Mar 2024 at 22:52:26 +0530, Nilesh Patra wrote:
> If I want to run tests with another package (say a test dependency) that I fixed
> locally on a particular arch (which is not amd64) -- how doI run autopkgtests with
> this combo on a porter machine?

Unfortunately, the general answer is that you can't. If this makes it
impossible for you to solve a bug, then you can't solve that bug without
assistance from a user of that architecture.

For specific classes of package, you might be able to work around this:
for example if you've attempted to fix a bug in a C/C++ library, you might
be able to convince the autopkgtest to pick up the patched library via
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, or if you've attempted to fix a bug in a Python library,
the same is true for PYTHONPATH. This will not be testing the package
"as-installed", so it's far from perfect, but it's better than nothing.

If we had porterboxes where it was possible to create
a container environment as an unprivileged user (see
https://salsa.debian.org/debian/grow-your-ideas/-/issues/40, which I'm
sorry to say I have not had sufficient energy to drive beyond opening
the initial suggestion) then that would be a 95% solution for this, but
that would require the DSA team to be willing to allow that, which would
increase security exposure to an extent that might well be considered
to be unacceptable.

I'm sorry to be bringing bad news without presenting an actionable solution.

    smcv