Re: 64-bit time_t transition in progress

Hi,

On Fri, 2024-02-02 at 08:21 -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Once all of these packages have built in experimental and we have identified
> and addressed all adverse interactions with the usrmerge transition, the
> plan is:
>
>  - dpkg uploaded to unstable with abi=time64 enabled by default[5]

How does this work when a user builds their own software using any
library build with abi=time64? They will still get a 32bit time_t &
others unless they use dpkg-buildflags as well, won't they?

If we already change ABI, why not change this in the toolchain (glibc,
gcc) so also user-build packages use the correct ABI? That was what
happened for other ABI changes like the C++ ABI change as far as I
remember.

Ansgar