Re: New Essential package procps-base

Hi,

On 11/14/23 18:42, Andreas Henriksson wrote:

Instead I think pidof can just be part of procps package. The
sysvinit-utils package will then pull in procps via a dependency (once
sysvinit-utils stops being Essential), which would smooth the transition
for all sysvinit users until LSB pidofproc has been implemented in all
init scripts.

Makes sense, but this effectively means that "pidof" is no longer in the essential set unless you are using sysvinit.

This will need to be communicated to Devuan at least (because they also support runit and openrc, and I believe neither pulls in sysvinit-utils explicitly, relying on its Essential status.

We should also check systemd units for pidof invocations.

A number of years ago I tested booting a regular debootstrapped system
(with all priority important packages, etc) with sysvinit-utils excluded
and that did not show a single warning about missing pidof. Someone
might want to repeat that experiment.

This check should probably use a dummy "pidof" on the path, I'd expect a lot of people use "if pidof x >/dev/null 2>&1" because of muscle memory, when they should not be redirecting stderr.

   Simon