Re: reference Debian package of multiple binaries sharing one man page

Norwid Behrnd <nbehrnd@yahoo.com> writes:

> Recently, I started to upgrade the Debian package about
> `markdownlint`,[1] a syntax checker.  The initially packaged version
> 0.12.0 provided a binary of name `ruby-mdl` which now becomes a
> transition dummy package in favour of the functionally updated
> `markdownlint`.

> I wonder how to properly prepare an adjusted man page for both binaries,
> because lintian warns about the absence for `usr/bin/mdl`.[2]

I think the problem is that you put the .so line in the wrong file.  It
should be the entire contents of the file corresponding to the deprecated
binary name, not a line in the file that represents the current binary
name.

The good news is that if you're using debhelper, you don't have to care
about how man handles these indirections and can just use a symlink.
Install the man page into usr/share/man/man1 under whatever name is
canonical (possibly by using dh_installman), and then create a symlink in
usr/share/man/man1 from the other man page name to that file.

dh_installman will then clean this all up for you and create proper .so
links and you don't have to care about the proper syntax.