Re: Questionable Package Present in Debian: fortune-mod

At 2023-08-23T15:40:06+0100, Adam Sampson wrote:
> "Andrew M.A. Cater" <amacater@einval.com> writes:
> > where are we going to get our fortunes from - where's the canonical
> > source now that FreeBSD has gone?
>
> There is Shlomi Fish's version:
>   https://github.com/shlomif/fortune-mod/

I've been mulling over whether to take the Debian package native, but
re-orienting our upstream may be a better idea.  The debian/patches
directory of our package is depressingly motley.

https://sources.debian.org/src/fortune-mod/1%3A1.99.1-7.3/debian/

> This includes the patches from Debian and other distributors,
> along with various other updates to the data files, including removing
> some (but certainly not all) of the more obnoxious fortunes.

Good, on both counts.  I had forgotten that the obnoxious cookie files
are already ROT13 encrypted in the source, so the complaint about the
source package containing them sounds to me like a case of taking a
letter opener to the sealed part of the "adult magazine" warning of
offensive content, greedily slicing one's way to access, and then
complaining to the 7-11 proprietor that your sensibilities are shocked.

(Translation: I'm so old I remember magazines doing this; AARP beckons.)

I find Amy Lewis's remarks on the matter, from 1995, noteworthy.

https://sources.debian.org/src/fortune-mod/1%3A1.99.1-7.3/Offensive/

> I am a bit dubious about the licensing of some of the original
> collection, though, even under the most liberal interpretation of fair
> use -- for example, songs-poems contains complete lyrics for several
> songs that are certainly still under copyright.

But they have also been there for a long, long time--not only, in many
cases I am sure, since before commercial access to the Internet was a
thing, but before many of the lawyers who might attempt to litigate such
claims were born.  For situations like this, there are theories of
estoppel and the principle of laches.  In a nutshell, if you sleep on
your rights, you risk giving them up--with respect to particular
infringements.  This is a U.S.-centric observation, but so is the music
publishing rights industry--never diverse, but a tall oligopoly today.

> (Although I guess we could now add a complete set of Tom Lehrer!)

Thank you for bringing this unalloyed happy news to the thread.  :)

Regards,
Branden