Re: Behavior change for Python packages built with CMake

On Thu, 27 Jul 2023 at 16:33:59 +0200, Timo Röhling wrote:
> > Would it make sense for debhelper to set this, either unconditionally
> > or in a sufficiently new compat level, and either unconditionally or
> > for the cmake and meson build systems?
> >
> Yes, I think that is a good idea.

Should this be done generically for all `dh_auto_*`, or just for the
cmake and meson build systems that we know need it?

Is deb or deb_system the "most correct" value?

> One thing I am a bit afraid of is
> upstream cargo-culting, i.e., someone setting this variable
> unconditionally in their build system as a "Debian workaround",
> which would defeat its purpose, distinguishing a package build from
> a regular user build.

I think that's more likely to happen as a result of open-coding this
in dozens of debian/rules, than as a result of having debhelper do it
in the same situations where we tell Autotools, CMake and Meson to use
--prefix=/usr.

    smcv