Re: proposal: dhcpcd-base as standard DHCP client starting with Trixie

El 22/06/23 a las 09:57, Santiago Ruano Rincón escribió:
> El 20/06/23 a las 08:29, Martin-Éric Racine escribió:
> > On Mon, Jun 19, 2023 at 9:11 PM Santiago Ruano Rincón
> > <santiagorr@riseup.net> wrote:

> > > I agree that dhcpcd seems the best alternative to isc-dhcp-client for
> > > the moment, and I'll make the relevant changes in ifupdown as soon as I
> > > can. Josué, any thoughts?
> >
> > 1) As someone pointed out in the thread, the reason why
> > isc-dhcp-client had priority:important probably was to ensure that
> > debootstrap would pull it, since debootstrap ignores Recommends and
> > packages with a priority lower than standard.
> >
> > 2) However, as long as ifupdown explictly depends on a package, it can
> > also pull dependencies with a lower priority. Right now ifupdown
> > Recommends "isc-dhcp-client | dhcp-client" which debootstrap would
> > ignore. It would have to Depends "dhcpcd-base | dhcp-client" instead.
> >
> > 3) At that point, swapping the priority of isc-dhcp-client and
> > dhcpcd-base merely becomes "nice to have". Heck, the priority of both
> > could, in principle, be optional, just as long as ifupdown explicitly
> > Depends on a DHCP client, and the first alternative is a real package.
>
> I was about to bump dhcpcd-base as ifupdown dependency, but... if
> isc-client-dhcp is a Recommends, is because not all users want a dhcp
> client installed, where all the ipv4 is handled statically, and ipv6 is
> done via SLAAC. As a user, I don't want/need to pull in dhcpcd-base the
> next upgrade.
>
> So I'd prefer to go forward with the steps proposed by Simon, and
> s/isc-dhcp-client/dhcpcd-base in ifupdown's Recommends:
> Unless there is a strong objection, I'll file the override bug report.

(sorry for taking so long to come back to this)

For the moment, ifupdown is still installed by the debian-installer as
default network interfaces manager. And after sleeping over it, and
discussing with debian fellows, I would like to call for consensus to
rise Priority: Important to dhcpcd-base (as initially requested in
#1038882), and switch to Recommends: dhcpcd-base | dhcp-client.

This addresses two scenarios: keep some systems as small as possible
(ifupdown users can remove dhcpcd if they want) and having a useful dhcp
client available after installing/bootstrapping.

So I would like to retitle #1038882 back as originally reported. (Sorry
for going back and forth) Objections?

The situation regarding the default network interfaces manager could
change, even in the short term. But that could be discussed in another
thread.

Cheers,

 -- Santiago