Re: Policy consensus on transition when removing initscripts.

Hello Thomas Goirand,

On Wed, Jun 28, 2023 at 10:01:13AM +0200, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 6/27/23 17:45, Andreas Henriksson wrote:
> > Dropping things and letting people pick them up if they
> > think they are still useful seems to be the only practical way forward.
>
> It's not. As written by Russ in this thread, filling a bug against
> orphan-sysvinit-scripts so it takes over the abandoned script is. I wouldn't
> mind seeing this mandatory, and written in the policy.

You seem to have missed this part of my message:
https://bugs.debian.org/934463

Please note: Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2019 12:46:52 +0200
This soon turns 4 years old!

(And my original message still contains my advice to put this in the
initscripts package because as I understand it the orphan-* is
supposed to be optional, but you do as you please.)

As an absolute minimum here, I request that any kind of mandatory
coordination comes with a specified official timeout (that's way less
than 4 years obviously).

Regards,
Andreas Henriksson