Re: proposal: dhcpcd-base as standard DHCP client starting with Trixie

On Mon, Jun 19, 2023 at 9:11 PM Santiago Ruano Rincón
<santiagorr@riseup.net> wrote:
> El 19/06/23 a las 13:54, Martin-Éric Racine escribió:
> > Seeing how the ISC DHCP suite has reached EOL upstream, now might be a
> > good time to re-visit Debian's choice of standard DHCP client shipping
> > with priority:important.
> >
> > I hereby propose bin:dhcpcd-base:
> >
> > 1) already supported by ifupdown.
> > 2) dual stack (DHCPv4, Bonjour, RA, DHCPv6 with PD) with privilege separation.
> > 3) writes both IPv4 and IPv6 name servers to /etc/resolv.conf
> > 4) supports /etc/resolv.conf.head and /etc/resolv.conf.tail
> > 5) a mere inet line in /etc/network/interfaces is sufficient to
> > configure both stacks.
>
> I agree that dhcpcd seems the best alternative to isc-dhcp-client for
> the moment, and I'll make the relevant changes in ifupdown as soon as I
> can. Josué, any thoughts?

I've never had to do this before, so I wonder if moving packages to
severity: standard or higher (in this case, important) requires any
decision from the CTTE or a similar authority, before we proceed?

Martin-Éric