Re: i386 in the future (was Re: 64-bit time_t transition for 32-bit archs: a proposal)

On Wed, May 31, 2023 at 12:51:06AM +0200, Diederik de Haas wrote:
> > >+1 for stopping publishing installers for i386, it has been mentioned
> > >many times but it's always worth repeating: electricity costs to keep
> > >running i386 hardware are already way higher than what it costs to buy
> > >a cheap, low-power replacement like a raspberry pi, that also provides
> > >better performance.

> > Exactly.
> > If people have strong opinions about that plan, let us know please.

> I have *strong* opinions about this.

> https://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2023/01/msg00372.html was a message/
> plea to not forget about supporting OLD systems.

> While it may be a no-brainer for a person with a $/€ 1000 a month residual
> income to just buy new hardware whenever they feel like it, that is not the
> case for everyone.

> To quote (a part) of that email:
> > I happen to know of a few derivative projects that have been using
> > Debian technology that have brought new life to some really aging equipment
> > and some people in either Third World countries or in communities with low
> > incomes and either limited or non-existent access to modern equipment. One
> > such effort, the antiX distribution, has been effective in reaching poor
> > communities in Brazil recently, and has long been able to reach people with
> > scaled down Debian technology all over the world.
> >
> > I'm wondering if there is some way to provide a "hook" or a way for some of
> > these ten to twenty year old systems to remain functional for those who may
> > not otherwise have a way, other than to run insecure, out of date systems.
> > If there is a way, even a "side project", I hope that the Debian community
> > can help a few of these derivative distributions assist people worldwide to
> > have access to modern technology,
> > even from systems that are barely "modern" any more.

> Besides people in 'third world countries' (I actually don't like such
> qualifications at all), there are also people in the '1st world' who work
> their asses off just to put food on the table, and thus also don't have
> the money to buy new equipment.  But if you want to interact with your own
> government, you highly likely will need to have some PC (type) equipment.
> It could also provide a way to learn/develop new skills.

> It's absolutely true that modern machines are more energy efficient. What is
> also true is that the production of new devices has a big environmental
> impact.

> https://mastodon.green/@gerrymcgovern/110329331475328263 said:
> > The European Environmental Bureau has stated that extending the lifespan of
> > smartphones and other electronics by just one year would save the EU as
> > much carbon emissions as taking two million cars off the roads annually.

> I would be VERY disappointed if Debian would abandon people who do NOT have
> the means to just buy new equipment whenever they feel like it.

> Especially when I see various proposals to make the 'life'/work of companies
> who make BILLIONS a YEAR, easier.
> [...]

For businesses, the transition from 32-bit to 64-bit was several
depreciation cycles ago.

In my city, there is a non-profit that accepts donations of old computers,
refurbishes them, installs Linux, and both sells them and provides them free
to people in need.

They receive x86-64 systems that they determine are *too old to be worth
refurbishing* and they e-cycle them.

Hanging on to systems using power-hungry chips from 20 years ago instead of
intercepting a system such as this is not reducing the number of computers
that end up in the waste stream, it just keeps you stuck with a more
power-hungry system.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/