Re: rust-*/librust-* arch:any vs. arch:all and cross-compilation support

Quoting Helmut Grohne (2023-02-20 18:12:14)
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2023 at 08:14:17PM +0100, Fabian Grünbichler wrote:
> > > TL;DR: Is the switch to arch:all one that should be reverted in the face of it apparently breaking cross builds? Or is there another alternative (nowadays) that makes the "workaround" employed by debcargo no longer needed?
>
> Yes, the switch to arch:all needs to be reverted at least partially.

Thanks, Fabian, for bringing this up, and thanks Helmut for the
clarification.

> Could it be that Jonas picked up such hints and thus added m-a:foreign?
> Then later a C binding was added to the mix, which broke the hint, but
> the conversion wasn't reverted.

No, I was not guided by m-a hinter rules (assuming you mean the kind
of hints that appear in the "action needed" section of e.g.
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/rust-test-case ) when I did the switch,
so I am not aware that that hinting are broken.

> This suggests that the hinter should gain another condition to never
> issue arch:all+m-a:foreign conversion hints for librust-*-dev packages.
> Do you agree?

I don't see a need for such general rule for all librust-*-dev packages.

E.g. librust-futures-timer-dev and librust-event-listener-dev has no
dependencies so should be safe to distribute as arch-all and marked as
m-a:foreign, right?

Sure, there is a theoretical risk that some day in the future those
packages grow dependencies that require changing that, but isn't that
the case generally for m-a hinting?

I guess it makes sense instead to have a lintian warning for packages
marked m-a:foreign that all its dependencies are equally marked (or if
that's unreasonably expensive then check only one level deep).  That
should help flag misuses of m-a:foreign including this one of mine (for
most but not all the librust-*-dev packages that I maintain).

 - Jonas

 * Sponsorship: https://ko-fi.com/drjones