Re: bring a newer version of a package into stable (nsis-3.09-1 into Debian "bookworm")

Hello,

I recommend the following two-fold approach.

- For one, if `nsis` refers to this entry in the package tracker

https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/nsis

prepare a new version of the package to enter branch testing (i.e. Debian
13/trixie) with as few as possible warnings e.g., by lintian and no longer an
error note "fails to build".  Based on the news this page lists, I assume you
equally are a sponsored maintainer, so you can upload the package *for
branch testing* to debian.mentors.org for the testing, public review.  With
successful sponsorship, and passing the checks, the update (to Debian
13/trixie) can arrive there within a week.

- Simultaneously, this version (then free of errors and warnings) then can be
used for a separate upload to debian.mentors.org aiming to constitute *a
backport* to branch stable (i.e. Debian 12/bookworm).  See

https://wiki.debian.org/Backports
https://backports.debian.org/

Of course, /debian/changelog requires a new entry and there should be a new
(additional) branch in the salsa GitLab repository exclusively dedicated to
the work on backports.  However, your upload to debian.mentors.org of your
revised package to Debian 13/trixe (testing) and Debian 12/bookworm (stable)
can be almost simultaneously -- by proper labeling by you, Debian Developers
can defer the upload to Debian stable until the upload to Debian testing is
successful.

A couple of weeks ago, I enjoyed this process of providing branch stable a
newer version of markdownlint with the sponsorship by Tobias Frost, see

https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/ruby-mdl

Regards,

Norwid