Re: DEP17 - /usr-merge - what has happened - what will happen - what you can do to help

Hi Holger,

On Thu, Nov 16, 2023 at 01:22:05PM +0000, Holger Levsen wrote:
> feel free to reply in public (incl. quoting me). or reply in private. :)
> (well, or don't reply though that would make me a bit sad. :)

I think your question is relevant to others.

> On Thu, Nov 16, 2023 at 11:27:36AM +0100, Helmut Grohne wrote:
> > I now change focus away from systemd units towards the essential set.
> > This is a tricky affair as it risks breaking bootstrap and the
> > debian-installer. As such, I intend to send patches for affected
> > packages and have started doing so already. There are quite a few more
> > patches to come.
>
> I don't understand, the essential set involves 23 source packages,
> why do you expect "quite a few" patches and not a certain amount?
> the next paragraph also seems to suggest you're talking about
> a "bigger essential set" than what I have in mind.

What I actually meant was the set of packages used by debootstrap, but I
wrote essential. In essence, this is "Priority: required". I'm not sure
about "Priority: important" yet. debootstrap seems to reliably configure
all required packages before unpacking important packages and that may
be sufficient to be safe. Rule of thumb: If your package is in the
patch.

> > Within three months we need to reach the point where
> > essential is fully converted with the exception of those packages that
> > cannot be converted without breakage. At that point, I'll coordinate a
> > synchronized NMU of the remaining packages. Affected maintainers have
> > received a mail while ago.
>
> a mail or a bug? is there a user tag?

A d-devel thread Cced to all relevant maintainers.
https://lists.debian.org/20230912181509.GA2588950@subdivi.de
We're talking about:
 * base-files
 * bash