Re: Hyphens in man pages

Hi,

Quoting Gioele Barabucci (2023-10-15 17:59:32)
> On 15/10/23 17:33, Iustin Pop wrote:
> > At least you're not lazy. I am, so what I did many times is add a
> > build-depends on pandoc, and write the man page in rst or md. I think
> > that's a worse solution (pandoc is really heavy), but at least, I don't
> > have to go back to *roff.
>
> Another option for the members of the lazy club is `podlators-perl`.

that is a virtual package provided by perl. What mechanism exactly are you
referring to when mentioning podlators-perl?

> The `.pod` syntax is OK, and it is not as heavy a dependency as pandoc.

When I have to write a new man page I always write POD instead of troff and
then run pod2man on it. I have yet to find something I wanted to put in a man
page that I was unable to express via the POD format.

Another reason I'm a fan of pod2man is, that it's possible to embed POD
documentation into scripts that are not Perl. For example debvm does this and
even though the debvm tools are written in POSIX shell, pod2man is doing the
right thing:

pod2man /usr/bin/debvm-run | man -l -

Thanks!

cheers, josch