Re: /usr-merge and DEP17 update: what happens next and how you can help

On Mon, Oct 09, 2023 at 08:16:32PM +0200, Helmut Grohne wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 09, 2023 at 02:10:27PM +0200, Andrea Bolognani wrote:
> > Am I missing something?
>
> Yes, you are and what you are missing really is not obvious, so thanks
> for asking!
>
> For one thing, dh_installsystemd generates maintainer scripts for
> restarting services. Before version 13.11.6, it did not recognize the
> /usr location. If you were to backport such a package, bookworm's
> debhelper would not generate the relevant maintainer scripts. You can
> mitigate this by issuing "Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 13.11.6~)". Thus,
> you'll be using a backported debhelper (unless the backporter carelessly
> deletes this dependency).

You mentioned this constraint in your original email, so while I
didn't mention it explicitly I was planning on adding the necessary
Build-Depends. I was also assuming that a good enough version of
debhelper would be backported to bookworm.

> For another, we have this generic file loss problem (DEP17 P1). If - in
> addition to moving units to /usr - you also restructure your package
> between bookworm and trixie (move units between binary packages), then
> an upgrade scenario may delete those files even in the presence of
> correct Breaks+Replaces. As long as you are sure that you do not rename
> any binary packages nor move any units between packages from bookworm to
> trixie, this won't apply. Such renames or moves are hard to predict
> though.

I'm actually hoping that I will be able to get around to a pretty big
refactoring of the libvirt package before trixie, so this is kind of
a deal breaker for me :)

> So if you understand these limitations and are prepared to handle them
> for backports, cleaning things up now is fine. If you are not, deferring
> that cleanup until after trixie and using dh_movetousr in the interim,
> may be the simpler option.

Yup, given the situation dh_movetousr definitely feels like the way
to go.

Thank you for taking the time to explain the situation and, once
again, for all your tireless work in this area :)

--
Andrea Bolognani <eof@kiyuko.org>