Re: /usr-merge status update + next steps

Am 19.08.23 um 23:14 schrieb Helmut Grohne:

## dh_usrmerge

I intend to add a new tool dh_usrmerge to debhelper (not yet
implemented). Its purpose is performing the path canonicalization in
binary packages. As long as the moratorium is in effect, this helper
must not be used. It shall be possible to enable this helper via
"Build-Depends: dh-sequence-usrmerge" or "--with=usrmerge". I discussed
the possibility of adding this helper to the default sequence via a
compatibility level. However, Niels Thykier pointed out that a new
compatibility level typically takes 3 years to be adopted and we want
100% adoption before trixie. It will not be mandatory to use this
helper. If dropping e.g. --prefix=/ and relying on the /usr default
works, that's better.

Related to that:
dh_installsystemd (and the old, deprecated dh_systemd_enable) currently only consider systemd unit files that are installed to lib/

One could trick dh_installsystemd by running dh_usrmerge after dh_installsystemd, but this approach obviously doesn't work, if you change your package to build with --prefix=/usr, so the files are already in the canonical location when dh_installsystemd runs.

So this would need a corresponding change in dh_installsystemd. I guess for the time being, it would make sense if the tool looked in both paths, at least as long as the transition is ongoing.

A relevant/related discussion happened already in
It derailed a bit but I think still has some useful information.

Michael