Re: Potential MBF: packages failing to build twice in a row

Hi!

On Wed, 2023-08-09 at 19:55:41 +0200, Johannes Schauer Marin Rodrigues wrote:
> I would only consider switching the default if at the same time, some checks
> were done that made sure that the result is bit-by-bit identical to the
> original.
>
> The source package is the *input* to sbuild not its output. If sbuild builds
> the source package it can happen that the resulting source package is not what
> was given to sbuild to get built before.
>
> So if the source package gets rebuilt and checked whether it is bit-by-bit
> identical to what was given to sbuild before, then essentially we would've
> enforced reproducible source packages. If I remember correctly, reproducible
> source packages are something that the reproducible builds team discarded as a
> concept many years ago.

I think I've mentioned this before, but dpkg-source is supposed to be
generating reproducible source packages since around the time dpkg-deb
has been generating reproducible binary packages. If that's not the case
in some circumstance I'd consider that a bug worth fixing (or at least
pondering whether it makes sense to support :).

Thanks,
Guillem