Re: autodep8 test for C/C++ header

Hi,

Quoting Benjamin Drung (2023-08-07 20:43:36)
> while working a whole week on fixing failing C/C++ header compilations for
> armhf time_t [1], I noticed a common pattern: The library -dev packages was
> missing one or more dependencies on another -dev package.  Over 200 -dev
> packages are affected.
>
> I propose to add an autodep8 test for C/C++ header files that tries to
> compile the header file. This will catch issues like missing
> dependencies and other issues.
>
> Here is a draft for the autopkgtest check script that takes a binary
> -dev package as parameter:
> https://github.com/bdrung/bdrung-scripts/blob/compile-header-check/compile-header-check
>
> What do you think? Should I proceed developing and packaging this check
> script and submit support for it in autodep8?

yes please!

I've manually written similar scripts for my own packages in the past with the
same reason: find missing dependencies of -dev packages. Here is an example of
what I wrote for ros-* packages:

https://sources.debian.org/src/ros-image-pipeline/1.17.0-1/debian/tests/compilation/

Thanks!

cheers, josch