Re: Future of GNU/kFreeBSD in the debian-ports archive

Dear all,

On 2023-05-29 18:11, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> Dear GNU/kFreeBSD porters,
>
> Over the past year, GNU/kFreeBSD hasn't seen any significant
> development. After reaching out to various individuals involved, it
> seems unlikely that the situation will change in the foreseeable future.
> Here are some statistics that support this observation:
>
> - The last buildd upload for kfreebsd-amd64 and kfreebsd-i386 was over a
>   year ago.
> - There have been no porter uploads for kfreebsd-i386 in the past year.
> - In the last year, only 11 porter uploads for kfreebsd-amd64 have been
>   recorded, with the most recent one occurring over two months ago.
> - Only approximately 30% of the packages on these architectures are
>   up-to-date.
>
> With my ports-master hat, I think it is time to consider the removal of
> both the kfreebsd-amd64 and kfreebsd-i386 architectures from the
> debian-ports archive. I would like to emphasize that packages will still
> be available on snapshot.d.o for anyone interested in reviving the port.
>
> In any case, I am waiting for feedback, and I will wait for at least a
> month before taking any action.

This has now happened, the kfreebsd-amd64 and kfreebsd-i386 ports have
been removed from the debian-ports archive. Technically only the indexes
are gone for now, but the packages will gradually disappear over the
next days to avoid triggering the maximum deletion protection on the
mirrors.

The packages will still be available on snapshot.debian.org for instance
on: http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian-ports/20230705/

Regards,
Aurelien

aurelien@aurel32.net                     http://aurel32.net