Re: Second take at DEP17 - consensus call on /usr-merge matters

Hi,

On 6/30/23 02:32, Helmut Grohne wrote:

If the dpkg maintainer were to merge aliasing support, I haven't seen
anyone objecting strong enough to try and override that maintainer
action for example.

Correct. The proponents of the "work around dpkg" approach quite often insinuate that it would be impossible to get changes merged for "social reasons", but there is no opposition from either camp to changing dpkg.

I think this is a misrepresentation. There is no readily mergable patch
for aliasing support. The most complete one is the tree from Simon
Richter and he considers that work incomplete still. At this time, it's
no a question of merging or not really.

Indeed. I'd place progress at 10%, with 80% being "call for testers", 90% "mergeable", 95% "translations done" and 100% "Policy updated."

I feel confident that this approach works, but there is a lot of boxes to tick, like diversions and alternatives, it will require a massive test suite, and it will require documentation as there is a new admin tool.

   Simon