Re: Second take at DEP17 - consensus call on /usr-merge matters

On 2023-06-29 12:53 +0200, Johannes Schauer Marin Rodrigues wrote:
> Choosing #3c gets us more than just a simple and clean design. Encoding the
> information of how a chroot should look like in the packages instead of the
> bootstrapping tool allows creating chroots for Debian unstable all the way back
> to 2006-08-10 using debbisect or debootsnap. Yes, creating old chroots via
> intermediary chroots is possible but it wastes processor cycles, adds
> complexity and requires hardcoding timestamps in the tools doing the job
> automatically. Letting the Essential:yes packages and their dependencies decide
> how a chroot is supposed to look like is also friendly to our derivatives as
> they then no longer need to maintain their custom setup in a tool like
> debootstrap. Choosing a component-based view on the bootstrapping problem does
> not only give is a clean design but also desirable properties for creating
> either old chroots from snapshot.d.o or chroots for derivatives without
> requiring hardcoding things over and over again in several tools.
>
> I fear that we are sacrificing the benefits we get from using the component
> based approach to software engineering. We are tempted by a quick-to-implement
> solution to get things done now without having to think much more about it and
> silently accept the long term costs for all tools in the bootstrapping space.

Thanks for writing this mail Josch. You saved me writing a long mail
making many of the same points.

It has long been a fundamental feature of Debian that it was just the
sum of its parts (packages). Breaking that feature was a mistake and I
was very disappointed that we chose to do that for a while as it
didn't seem in line with our general favour of rigour over
expediency.

I too strongly favour 3c as a way to get back that fundamental
property of non-hackiness, where the OS is just the unpacked packages,
with ordering controlled by the dependency metadata.

And kudos to Helmut for turning that massive thread into a cogent list
of issues and options. It is much appreciated.

I agree with the two consensus proposals Helmut put in the email at
the top of this thread (that DEP17 is a good representation of the
issues and that putting the files in the canonical locations is the
long-term endpoint of this transition).

Wookey
--
Principal hats:  Debian, Wookware, ARM