Re: Default network configuration system (was Re: proposal: dhcpcd-base as standard DHCP client starting with Trixie)

On Thu, Jun 22, 2023 at 01:39:02PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Tue, 2023-06-20 at 11:19 +0200, Lukas Maerdian wrote:
>
> > Netplan allows to configure both of those tools and is already being
> > used across Ubuntu and in Debian cloud-images for this purpose. All
> > while keeping full flexibility to use the underlying tool's native
> > config files, should Netplan's simple YAML settings not be enough for
> > a given complex usecase.
>
> Is Netplan able to parse an existing native config for each of the
> tools and then output either Netplan configs or native configs for each
> of the other network config tools? For example could you use Netplan to
> auto-migrate from ifupdown to systemd-networkd or NetworkManager etc?

Netplan is implemented as a systemd-generator [1] and primarily intended to be
used as a one-directional genreator from Netplan YAML -> native config.

We've been making some moves in adding bidirectional parsing capabilities for
NetworkManager's keyfiles, though, e.g.: NM keyfile <-> Netplan YAML
And there's also an ifupdown migration prototype, but that is pretty limited,
didn't see much love in the recent years and might not live up to expectations,
e.g.: ENABLE_TEST_COMMANDS=1 netplan migrate

Cheers,
  Lukas

[1] https://manpages.debian.org/testing/systemd/systemd.generator.7.en.html