Re: proposal: dhcpcd-base as standard DHCP client starting with Trixie

On Tue, Jun 20, 2023 at 10:23:58AM +0100, Matthew Vernon wrote:

> We might be using slightly different terms, but for desktops I still
> tend to use ifupdown (since the network config is easily configured
> thus, and essentially never changes); laptops I have ifupdown &
> network-manager (since the latter makes joining wireless networks on my
> travels easier).

ifupdown everywhere here, as on the one side it simplifies bridge
configuration and makes for a minimal/transparent config, and on the other
I find it pretty convenient to add new networks to wpa_supplicant.conf,
where it's also easy to set per-network priorities if I'm going to have a
particular preference of wireless network for any measure of time.

For my laptop, jumping between the two modes is quite literally effortless:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
    pre-up /sbin/mii-tool eth0 | /bin/grep -qv "no link"

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    pre-up /sbin/mii-tool eth0 | /bin/grep -q "no link"
    wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

--
(defun main () (format t "Mason Loring Bliss  -  mason@blisses.org - ")
 (format t "By the mysgydynge of the sterysman, he was set vpon the pylys")