Re: proposal: dhcpcd-base as standard DHCP client starting with Trixie

Martin-Éric Racine <martin-eric.racine@iki.fi> writes:

> On Mon, Jun 19, 2023 at 9:11 PM Santiago Ruano Rincón
> <santiagorr@riseup.net> wrote:
>> El 19/06/23 a las 13:54, Martin-Éric Racine escribió:
>> > Greetings,
>> >
>> > Seeing how the ISC DHCP suite has reached EOL upstream, now might be a
>> > good time to re-visit Debian's choice of standard DHCP client shipping
>> > with priority:important.
>> >
>> > I hereby propose bin:dhcpcd-base:
>> >
>> > 1) already supported by ifupdown.
>> > 2) dual stack (DHCPv4, Bonjour, RA, DHCPv6 with PD) with privilege separation.
>> > 3) writes both IPv4 and IPv6 name servers to /etc/resolv.conf
>> > 4) supports /etc/resolv.conf.head and /etc/resolv.conf.tail
>> > 5) a mere inet line in /etc/network/interfaces is sufficient to
>> > configure both stacks.
>>
>> I agree that dhcpcd seems the best alternative to isc-dhcp-client for
>> the moment, and I'll make the relevant changes in ifupdown as soon as I
>> can. Josué, any thoughts?
>
> 1) As someone pointed out in the thread, the reason why
> isc-dhcp-client had priority:important probably was to ensure that
> debootstrap would pull it, since debootstrap ignores Recommends and
> packages with a priority lower than standard.
>
> 2) However, as long as ifupdown explictly depends on a package, it can
> also pull dependencies with a lower priority. Right now ifupdown
> Recommends "isc-dhcp-client | dhcp-client" which debootstrap would
> ignore. It would have to Depends "dhcpcd-base | dhcp-client" instead.
>
> 3) At that point, swapping the priority of isc-dhcp-client and
> dhcpcd-base merely becomes "nice to have". Heck, the priority of both
> could, in principle, be optional, just as long as ifupdown explicitly
> Depends on a DHCP client, and the first alternative is a real package.

That would make the order of operations for a smooth migration as
follows:

1. ifupdown switches from Recommends "isc-dhcp-client | dhcp-client" to
   Depends "isc-dhcp-client | dhcp-client".

2. isc-dhcp-client drops from Priority: important to Priority: optional

3. ifupdown switches from isc-dhcp-client to dhcpcd-base.

--
Arto Jantunen