Re: Mass bug filing / call for testing: dependencies on SDL 1.2

On Mon, 2023-06-12 at 17:24 +0100, Simon McVittie wrote:

> SDL 1.2 was superseded by SDL 2 several years ago, and no longer receives
> upstream maintenance or releases. Maintained software that uses SDL 1.2
> should be ported to SDL 2.

It was pointed out to me on IRC that some SDL 1.2 extension libraries
might not have an SDL 2 equivalent yet, or they might not be in Debian.

For example hex-a-hop can use SDL_ttf or SDL_Pango. Pango is a more
featureful text renderer, so the Debian package uses it. There is an
SDL2_Pango project available on GitHub but it isn't in Debian yet.

   https://github.com/markuskimius/SDL2_Pango

Looking through the packages, these appear to be missing:

   console kitchensink pango sge sound

Perhaps there are better equivalents for these in SDL 2 though?

Will the SDL team be packaging available SDL 2 equivalents for
the SDL 1.2 extension libraries that are in Debian?

> For legacy software that cannot be ported, SDL upstream have produced a
> replacement library, sdl12-compat, which implements the SDL 1.2 API/ABI
> by dlopening SDL 2 (and correcting for API/ABI changes). In Debian, this
> is currently available as libsdl1.2-compat-shim.

I tested hex-a-hop under GNOME Wayland. It segfaults with SDL 1.2 and
SDL_VIDEODRIVER=wayland but does not with the SDL 1.2 compat lib via
LD_PRELOAD. When using the compat lib via LD_PRELOAD, the X11 mode has
a window title bar and border but those are missing in Wayland mode.

   dpkg-architecture -c sh -c 'LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/${DEB_HOST_MULTIARCH}/sdl12-compat/libSDL-1.2.so.0 hex-a-hop'

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise