Re: i386 in the future (was Re: 64-bit time_t transition for 32-bit archs: a proposal)

Ansgar <ansgar@43-1.org> writes:

> On Fri, 2023-05-19 at 20:57 +0200, Bjørn Mork wrote:
>> Hmm.  I find the netboot installer archives very useful for rescue
>> purposes.  This sometimes involves PC hardware too old for amd64. I PXE
>> booted a 20+ year old laptop with no DVD/CD drive (Compaq Evo N410c - CD
>> drive was part of the optional docking station) using a bullseye
>> netboot.tar not long ago.
>
> You can keep using the bullseye netboot.tar for the next 20+ years to
> rescue boot an ancient system, copy the data off of it, and then
> responsibly dispose the system.

That won't work, will it?  netboot must match the kernel version in the
archive to be useful.  Or am I missing something?

> I don't think this is a good argument to keep generating i386 install
> media.

Maybe not.  Just wanted to mention the use case so it can be
considered. I understand that it might not justify the resources
required.

Bjørn