Re: 64-bit time_t transition for 32-bit archs: a proposal

Hi Craig,

On Wed, May 17, 2023 at 10:14:17PM +1000, Craig Small wrote:
> On Wed, 17 May 2023 at 14:10, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:

> > Over on debian-arm@lists, there has been discussion on and off for several
> > months now about the impending 32-bit timepocalypse.  As many of you are
> > aware, 32-bit time_t runs out of space in 2038; the exact date is now less
> > than 15 years away.  It is not too early to start addressing the question
> > of
> > 32-bit architecture compatibility, as there are already reports in the wild
> > of calendar failures for future events on 32-bit archs.

> Hi Steve,
>   Have they also considered the same issue with utmp?

> https://github.com/thkukuk/utmpx/blob/main/Y2038.md

> Some of it is reasonably easy to fix by changing the utmp-related calls
> with the systemd equivalents, but not all fields are available.

This isn't something that's specifically come up.  I think there's general
recognition that there will be other software that needs to be fixed in ways
not addressed by simply turning on -D_TIME_BITS=64.  I'm currently
restricting my focus to the latter, since it's the part that will require
distro-wide coordination.

Thanks,
Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/