Re: RFP: virtme-ng -- Tool to build and run a kernel inside a virtualized snapshot of your live system

On Tue, May 09, 2023 at 11:32:59AM +0200, Ricardo Ribalda Delgado wrote:
> Hi
>

> On Tue, May 9, 2023 at 11:28 AM Héctor Orón Martínez
> <hector.oron@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,

> >> The original virtme project is not maintained anymore
> >> (https://github.com/amluto/virtme), so we decided to fork the project
> >> and continue the development / bug fixing in virtme-ng
> >> (https://github.com/arighi/virtme-ng).
> >>
> >> Some people are already using and contributing to virtme-ng and there
> >> are plans to package it in SuSE.
> >>
> >> Honestly I don't know what would be the right procedure to "obsolete"
> >> the old virtme package and replace it virtme-ng (if possible), but
> >> ideally it would be nice to do something like this. Any guidance or
> >> suggestion is welcome.
> >

> > I suggest we evaluate switching upstream from virtme to virtme-ng, on the Debian virtme package. I would not mind if you want to be added as uploader for the package.
> >
> > Ricardo has been working on virtme. What do you think?
>
> SGTM. Maybe we can send an email out of courtesy to the old virtme author.

All good to me as well! I already sent an email to the virtme author
(Andrew Lutomirski) to inform him that I was forking the project, but I
didn't get any response.

Maybe I can try to ping him again and see if he's also happy about this
plan.

-Andrea