Re: DEP 17: Improve support for directory aliasing in dpkg

Hello,

On Mon, 03 Apr 2023, Helmut Grohne wrote:
> Please consider it to be a piece of best
> intentions at reconciling feedback wherever I could. At the time of this
> writing it certainly is not consensus, but consensus is what I seek
> here.  Without further ado, the full DEP text follows after my name
> while it also is available at
> https://salsa.debian.org/dep-team/deps/-/merge_requests/5

I'd like to express some disappointment that nobody replied publicly
sofar. Last year's developer survey concluded that "Debian should complete
the merged-/usr transition" was the most important project for Debian [1]
(among those proposed in the survey). That's what we are trying to do
here and it would be nice to build some sort of consensus on what it means
in terms of changes for dpkg.

I know that Guillem (dpkg's maintainer) is generally opposed to the
approach that Debian has followed to implement merged-/usr but I have
yet to read his concerns on the changes proposed here (besides the fact
that they ought to not be needed because we should redo the transition
in another way, but that's a ship that has sailed a long time ago...).

The rough project consensus seems to be that we should modify dpkg to
avoid the cases where some files can disappear upon upgrades. Most people
don't really care how we modify dpkg for this, and I can't blame them, but
given that dpkg's maintainer seems unwilling to work on this problem,
someone else has to come up with a design, implement it and get it applied
on Debian's version of dpkg.

We are committed to work on the design and implementation but we want to
make sure the design is sound and agreed upon by the persons who are
technically knowledgeable on this issue and who have thought a lot on this
issue. There aren't that many persons in that set but it is also not empty.
So please read the DEP and share your feedback, even if it's just "I have
read it and it sounds fine", it will definitely help.

Thank you!

[1] page 28-32 of https://debian.pages.debian.net/dd-surveys/dd-survey-analysis-2022.pdf
--
  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀   Raphaël Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org>