Re: Dependency for pre-configure script

Antonio Russo <aerusso@aerusso.net> writes:

> Indeed, trying to install a package with a pre-depends on certbot that
> has a debconf debian/config file does not have certbot installed by the
> time the debconf script starts.  This is on testing.

See section 8 of the debconf specification:

    The config-file contains a new element, which I call the
    configmodule. This is a program that will determine the configuration
    before the package is unpacked. This means it is usually run before
    the preinst, and before the package is unpacked!

This could definitely be clearer (and easier to find), but yes, this is
expected behavior.

> My question: is there a way to ensure a package is installed *before*
> getting debconf input from the user?  Alternatively, is there a way to
> run debconf questions during a preinst script?

The tripwire package prompts in preinst, so that worked at some point, but
it's for an old upgrade so I don't know if it's still working.  I think
it's more common to prompt in postinst during configure.  I know of
several packages that do that, although it's not considered ideal if you
can avoid it.